What privacy options are available with SmugMug?
However, you should be aware that Google, other search engines, and people in general may be able to see your SmugMug site.
If you are like most people, this is a good thing. It means forgetful friends can just Google "Joey Schmoey's birthday party" and find your site.
For some people, however, they'd prefer if Google didn't know they had a SmugMug site at all. Perhaps you're a business professional who doesn't want others in the industry to glimpse your personal life. Perhaps you've recently robbed a bank and have pictures of the loot in your SmugMug site. Whatever your reasons for wanting to remain unseen... we give you the power to control your privacy.
Who can search for my SmugMug site and what can they find?
If you leave the Discover > Search options in your Account Settings and gallery settings just as they are, then the following will show up in SmugMug's site-wide search results, as well the search results of Google, Yahoo, etc. :
- Your SmugMug nickname, the first and last names on your account, and your bio
- Your homepage, unless you set a site-wide password or all of your galleries are accessible by Anyone with the Link (unlisted)
- Nothing about your unlisted galleries
- The titles of password-protected galleries accessible by Everyone (public)
- The title, photos, captions, etc. of public, non-password-protected galleries
Q1: Wait, but I don't want any part of my site to show up in searches!
Q2: Ok, I'll put a password on my site. But what if I want friends to be able to use keywords after they get in?
Q3: I like my popular photos to show up on SmugMug's browse page, and I don't mind showing up in SmugMug's family-friendly search. But Google? That's another story!
Answer to all: Create a SmugIsland. Feel the tropical breeze. Ohhhh yeah.