Does SmugMug track views of my photos?
Seeking fame? If so, we'll help you see just how many fans sought you.
We track hits for every image and video on your site. Take a look at our stats feature to see real-time information on how often your photos and videos were viewed.
What's Your Magic Number?
When you first open this page, we'll display all hits from the last month for all your photos and videos.
Want to look up a specific time span, such as a single day or the week that you posted your photos to a forum? Just click the date link at the top of the page and bring up the calendar to change it.
The current day is outlined in red on the popup calendar. Click to select the start date, then click a second time on the end date. The line graph will automatically adjust for your new range.
Below the graph, we show a list of total hits for photos, video files, or both.
We start off by displaying the information in chronological order, but you can click the column header to sort by that parameter. For example, click "Photos" to see which dates generated the most hits.
The tabs across the top will allow you to view the number of hits for different areas of your site. Note that picking a specific gallery in any of these tabs will "stick" as you browse around so you don't have to re-select them in subsequent tabs.
Gallery Trends: Click this tab to view hits to the photos in a specific gallery.
Gallery Details: Choose a gallery to view hits for all photo or video sizes. Thumbnails and their filenames are shown on the left so you can see what's what.
Photo Trends: First, select your gallery, then pick the thumbnail for the image you want to track.
Popularity: All of your galleries will display in a list in order of popularity. You can click the gallery name to get more detailed information. If you've already chosen a specific gallery in a different tab, we'll remember that. Pick another one by hitting the Back to Popular Galleries link.
Referrers: You can see where your hits are coming from under this tab. You can even click on the numbers to see the exact pages that are generating traffic to your site.
Keeping track of your popularity? Just click the Permalink in the upper right side, then copy the URL from your browser. With it, you can go directly to the stats you're viewing without having to fiddle with the variables again.
Gotcha: We're able to store your stats for the past 18 months, currently. This may change in the future, and we'll update here if it does!
Where Are These Hits Coming From?
When visitors view your site, we count a hit each time an image is loaded onto their screen. Those are the numbers that you're seeing, and they'll go up if the images are viewed again and again. If they like what they see, they might tell their friends about it, too. So keep an eye on those numbers!
Your own views are locally cached, and will count only once per browser. If you were to also view your images on a mobile device, for example, then two views will count from you. And if you clear your cache, that'll create a new hit.
What counts as a view?
- Your initial view of a gallery after you upload images. We take you to the gallery automatically after upload, so you might not think of it as a view, but it's counted.
- Hits on images that are size Small or larger. Example: If you've set a branding image for your shopping cart, that image will register a view anytime someone visits your cart.
- Images you use for content blocks, such as folders and galleries, will register a view for every image that's featured, regardless of privacy level, if you're logged in and visiting the folder/gallery for the first time.
- Images on the homepage will register a view whenever someone visits the page. If you feature images from an unlisted gallery, they'll get a view.
- We also do our best to predict which images you're most likely to click, so we deliver those to your browser, too. They aren't visible to you until you click on a small image to get a bigger one, but it's an image we sent to your browser so it's counted as a view.
- Opening folders and galleries in the organizer.
- "Custom"-size images where either dimension is 150px or smaller.
Worried about unexpected views to your Unlisted (Anyone with the Link) or passworded gallery? Adding a viewing password (or changing an existing one) can work wonders. Don't forget that you can also turn off external linking in your Gallery Settings, which foils people from posting your photos on sites, blogs and forums.
Double Your Stats Power!
If you want to add additional tools like Google Analytics, you can do that, too. While we track photos views, Google Analytics tracks only page views. Combined, you get a better overview of how people are using your site.
First, go here and set yourself up with a profile. They'll give you a Web Property ID that starts with "UA," following by dashes and several numbers. (Example: UA-999999-1)
Copy the whole thing, and then head over to your Account Settings > Stats tab. Paste that into the Web Property ID box near the bottom, under "Google Analytics." Done!
Remember to check your traffic reports over at your Google account.