How do I sell digital downloads?
Your customers can buy digital copies of your photos and videos if you set prices for them. You’ll do this in your Pricelists.
You can find the digital download sale options by clicking Choose Products when you edit your Pricelists.
Setting prices for any of the download options will cause them to appear as choices in the shopping cart (along with their license agreements).
Gallery Downloads are the price you set for the whole gallery. For example, you can set Gallery Download pricing on a gallery containing 10 photos at $75, while you price each single photo download at $10. This is an easy way to offer a 25% discount when someone buys the whole set. Gallery Download zip files contain all photo and video files in the gallery.
Single Photo Downloads are your single image prices. They follow all the usual pricing rules.
Printmarked photos are digital copies that include the Printmark that you've set for the gallery. Basically, they're watermarks for your downloads.
Video Downloads are exactly what they seem: copies of your videos in the various sizes shown above.
View Personal License
View Commercial License
Digital downloads have a base cost of $0.01 for single files and $.99 for a gallery download to cover processing and delivery. If your shopping cart has a subtotal of less than $10.00 and contains at least one download file, we'll add a $0.50 processing fee.
But you can offer your downloads for free using coupons, sharing via Download All files, or by enabling Originals in your gallery settings.
A Word About Sizes
You can sell both personal and commercial licenses for 4 sizes of photos and 5 sizes of video.
To find out how many megapixels an image is, just multiply the pixel dimensions together and divide by 1 million. For example, an 816x1224 image is 998,784 pixels. Divide that by 1 million and you get .998784 (just under 1 Megapixel). This is roughly big enough to print an 8x12.
If it's twice as wide and tall, or a 1632x2448 image, it will be nearly 4 Megapixels, about enough for a 30x40 print.
View our print-resolution requirements here.
After checking out, your customers can retrieve their downloads by clicking the links we send them. If they bought at least four photos, they can retrieve them in bulk. We'll wrap their purchases into a zip file and send them an email when it's ready.
When you're logged in, you won't be able to purchase your own digital downloads in the shopping cart. To see the prices your customers see, make sure you log out first. Or, better yet, use a different browser where you're not logged in to your SmugMug account.
Tip: We'll preserve IPTC, EXIF, and other metadata in the JPEGs that are sold. Should your image be posted online or used inappropriately somewhere else, you may be able to track it. This isn't foolproof, but it's still probably worth your time to properly fill those fields prior to upload. It's a big first step in making sure the terms of the license are followed.
Photographer or videographer ("Content Provider") grants buyer a non-exclusive perpetual personal-use license to download and copy the accompanying image(s) or video(s) (collectively, "Media,") subject to the following restrictions:
- This license is for personal use only. Personal use means non-commercial use of the Media for display on personal websites and computers, or making image prints or video copies for personal use. The Media may not be used in any way whatsoever in which you charge money, collect fees, or receive any form of remuneration. The Media may not be used in advertising. The Media may not be resold, relicensed, or sub-licensed.
- Title and ownership, and all rights now and in the future, of and for the Media remain exclusively with the Content Provider.
- There are no warranties, express or implied. The Media are provided 'as is.'
- Neither Content Provider nor SmugMug will be liable for any third party claims or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license or buyer's use of the Media.
What you can do: Photographer or videographer ("Content Provider") grants you a perpetual, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the accompanying image(s) or video(s) (collectively, "Media,") for permitted commercial purposes, defined as:
- advertising, promotion, brochures, packaging
- as part of a commercial website for promotional purposes (maximum 800x600 pixels) use
- prints, posters, flyers, tearsheets for promotional purposes (not for resale)
- prints, posters, or other commercial display of Media
- magazines, books, newspapers, other printed publications
- video, broadcast, theatrical
What you may not do: Buyer may not resell, relicense, redistribute without express written permission from Content Provider. Use as a derivative work, and reselling or redistributing such derivative work is prohibited. Media may not be used in a pornographic, obscene, illegal, immoral, libelous or defamatory manner. Media may not be incorporated into trademarks, logos, or service marks. Media may not be made available for download.
Content Provider retains all rights, license, copyright, title and ownership of the Media.
There is no warranty, express or implied, with the purchase of this digital image or video file. Neither Content Provider nor SmugMug will be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license or buyer\'s use of the Media.